Sunday, January 24, 2010

2010 - A whirlwind time at work



I realize how time can fly by so fast and how important it is for me to document the phases of life I go through. What I think of as normal right now turn out to be different in a matter of months...

My life at the minute is most easily described as "a whirlwind" and this image depicted it well - with the craziness but also the brilliant and positive colors.

Here's a typical workday....and seems to be the case for the next 12 weeks (tax season)

6:00am
Alarm goes off, I press snooze repeatedly and yearn for more sleep
6:45am
I have a "oh crap" moment, especially if I have a 7am meeting (yes, they happen more and more often)
6:46am
Check email for any emergencies (latest job is in an operations environment)
7:00am
Shower, weight myself (it is January after all), get dressed, run around going "I'm late" over and over again
7:15am
I've eaten something, kissed the hubby, checked email again, packing the bag with last minute items and am running out the door (of the fabulous home!)
7:30am
I'm at work (yes a great commute!), checking voice mail, email, and trying to gather my thoughts and priorities for the day before the floodgates open
8:00am
And the meetings are official going...
10:00am
More meetings
12:00pm
Still more meetings
1:00ish
I grab 10 minutes somewhere in the time zone to microwave my Lean Cuisine meal (reminder it is January) and a Diet Pepsi and to have a pee. You would not believe how hard it seems to be to just take a 5 minute break between meetings to pee - you upset the person that runs the meeting - or you are running the meeting....
2:00pm
More meetings
5:00pm
The official meetings have stopped, but I get a lot of "drop by" visits and calls from others that are in the meeting madness like me. Many actions and decisions get taken at these drop by's
6:00pm
Breathe.....now I start my "work". I check emails, make decisions, create reports, communicate out, write reviews for employees, make plans for the team, etc...
8:00ish
I strive for earlier but it always seems later that I leave. I can't seem to leave until I feel like I have "achieved" something (see my strengths = achiever and focus). I leave mentally exhausted.
9:00pm
I walk in the door, change into sweats or pj's, kiss the husband, maybe eat something, and sit on the sofa for some zone-out tv.
9:30pm
I'm feeling antsy and can't "just watch tv" so get out the iPhone and fiddle - often Twitter or Facebook seem to be the best tool to randomly connect. Twitter has now creeped into being a work thing too, so doing that one....
10:30pm
Nodding head on sofa, wake up drooling, get up and march to bed. Asleep in 5 mins. Guess sleep comes easier than it did last year....





No comments: