Sunday, May 22, 2011

A change of mindset

I've spent the past few weeks working things through my mind....time to share


I was really proud to have finished Wildflower, it marked a halfway point for me as well as an achievement and a proof point that I can do the IronMan.

At the same time, I was left with a sense of disappointment in myself.
The rest of the team and group are all much better athletes than I am...and have shown great progression in the past few months. Very proud of them all.

I turned that lens back on myself and realized I was not thinking about the IronMan as a chance to "compete" but rather as a "chance to finish and cross the line" and I've been vocal that my happy target is "16:30 hours".

But somehow, after seeing the rest of the team finish well...seeing my glorious "bottom 5 % result"....and especially after seeing the photos of me from Wildflower....a shift occurred in my mind.


I'm 32 years old and physically able and fit to be able to do this thing....and yet I'm "just looking to finish" and happy with "bottom 5%"?
I guess the competitive gene in me woke up and said "WTF!"


I also was just not happy with the photos....I want to LOOK like I'm an IronMan and not just cross that line for a medal.

The heavy legs and spare tire around my middle that shows up on every single photo from every race photo I get has finally got to the point of me saying "it's got to go!"

So I have made the mental switch....and suddenly feel alive...awakened...with a new purpose

#1 Signed up for p90X and I'm 2 weeks in. I lost 6 pounds (although expect that to come back in muscle) and feel fitter. My 2 recent bike rides have seen improvements...though not sure I can claim 2 weeks of cardio/strength training for that yet?

#2 Committed to more biking. Running is out due to knee (that I have to keep moving forward to fix) so even more reason to increase biking... finding a rhythm here but using all options I can to make it work from spin class, indoor trainer, and outdoor biking on new trails. I'm aiming for double bike rides on the weekends....2 weekends have proven this true.

#3 Announce this new mindset to the world (or at least publicly in this blog). Quite scary as I have to be held accountable to this now....but I guess thats' the point.

Looking forward to the next 6 months of training...and the New Lucy it brings.

No comments: