Friday, June 26, 2009

Watching the Force of Nature from a Plane

Image Source: Reuters Blog

I was traveling back on a plane at night and we had diverted our route over North Dakota. I was sitting in my seat when I noticed a light flash - I thought it was the lights on the plane's wing, but it seemed to catch my eye, so turned to look an saw this amazing force of nature occur.
I should have been scared....but somehow in this plane there was no impact felt in noise or vibrations, so I felt "safe" and just watched in awe and wonder.

We were flying at the edge of a storm cloud, it was thick and fluffly like a marshmallow but blacker than the night sky that surrounded it. It extended from the wing of the plane (yes, that close!) to the eye's horizon in the distance.

I sat and watched and saw the cloud right at the wing light up with a huge bright white light, not yellow or tinted, but a clear brilliant white. And then as the light gathered intensity it erupted out with a bolt of lightning. This continued every 10 seconds or so ad I saw in awe for 10 minutes while the plane went past this storm.

It reminded me to respect and see the beauty of nature...and to be thankful I was not underneath that storm.

No comments: