Sunday, August 30, 2009

A weight lifted off my shoulders...


You can't always change a situation you are in straight away, but you can change how you act during the situation, and know that it can change in the future.

My work situation has not been ideal for the past few months. I'm not saying it's ever perfect - we all have bad managers, dysfunctional teams, and unappreciative organizations.

But sometimes you don't care because you are engaged and loving the work and what you are doing.
Other times you see it, and the micromanagement of everything you do every day wears you down.
As a person that thrives on energy, I have to really focus on areas of work that energize me and not take it away. But I was not in a situation that gave me much choice in the short term.

I was aware of it - and practiced many things to manage it. See prior entries of breathing or the occasionally rant.

But the decision to change it was finally made today - and I have to say it felt like an emotional release. A weight off my shoulders is such a cliche - but oh so true in this situation. I left work and felt positive and hopeful and excited.

I sat and waited for my flight at the airport for 2 hours, and have to say I was the most productive I had been in weeks. My mind felt able to focus, to think, to breathe.

It was if I was gasping for air that I had not breathed again - and I was feeling elated. I still am 3 days later, and I'm looking forward to keep feeling like this for as long as possible.

What a great feeling!


No comments: