Friday, July 9, 2010

Boma dinner

Just reporting out on the Boma dinner - we arrived to be dressed in African dress and had our face painted.
Then you enter and are treated to some Zulu beer - horribly sour stuff :(
Appetizers of maize, sweet potato, and nuts that seem to be like chestnuts.
The dinner is a buffet dinner with a wide variety of options - ate crocodile, kudu, warthog, eland, and hubby even ate the Mopani worm! Ick!

overall left with the impression that nothing tasted that great. I have to think that it must be from the lack of resources in Zimbabwe - that the cooks are making do to get things out. For instance the orange juice at the hotel is actually 90% orange squash with a bit of juice mixed in. And the bread is all very sweet and stale rather than soft and yeasty.
I had put this all down to Africa until arriving in Botswana ...more to come.

After dinner we played the drums - a fun activity to get into. And I also had my fortune told by a witch doctor. An odd ritual to watch and a little cynical on my front but appreciative to watch a tradition.
My fortune? I am "strong like a man" with my wealth coming from my husband in 3 years, my career will be unsettled as i like to travel alot, family will have 4 kids including 2 strong boys, and a long healthy life seeing 5 grandkids grow up. Ah now he did say o would be pregant in 2 months and that I would be back to Victoria Falls at least 7 times...

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: