Tuesday, July 1, 2008

30 Days to a Positive Outlook...Day 12

Thu Jun 26th 2008. Writing retrospectively...but hitting the highlights.

"Appreciate what you have"

After the happy ending to yesterday, I was looking forward to today. I had a session with a team that would be fun as well as a party in the afternoon AND a dinner party in the evening. A busy day but playing to my passion of interacting with people in an informal environment.

All changed at 1pm…the company announcement with a 7% layoff of our people. Now, most people knew it was coming, including myself. But it’s different to be theoretical about it then when it’s right there in your face. 600 people that you know and have worked with are no longer employed with the company.

First time I’ve been involved in a layoff where I would actually know the people and see the impact. Have to say I was a little numb for the day. Lots of questions with no real answers.
On top of that, I’m in a manager role which means I had to “put on the brave face” for my team with their questions. Now, THAT was something that was not comfortable.

So at the end of this day…the key takeaway to being more positive is “appreciate what you have

No comments: