Friday, July 18, 2008

The New Job - Part 1



















I've had a new role for about 10 days now. My boss had a meeting with me before she left for 2 weeks for vacation and we talked about what has to be done.

It's a new role for me and for the organization...so it's a bit of "let's work it out over time" but the time here is a matter of weeks and no more.

So, I had a meeting with one of my major clients, A "C" level in the executive suite, and oooh - it was definitely the 1st of many transitions I have to make into the mindset of the new role.

1. I got a lot of "feedback" into the preparation for the meeting...a lot of eyes on me in this
2. I should never attend a meeting that was blindly set up without context
3. I need to adjust my mindset and discussion into the "c-level" framework
4. Don't let the parties involved take the topic off-topic and steer them back, even a c-level, back where you want

So went home after what ended up being a crappy day...but it's part of changing into a new role. Can't be easy else you took the wrong job. If you can do it all on Day 1, what's the point? It's all about learning and growing.
What made me happy this week? I networked outside of the company which I said I wanted to do more of. Both were ex-colleagues, but it's a good start. Had lunch at a different corporate campus...oooh forgot that fresh excitement of a polished campus and canteen. Felt good and made me remember what a career can be like with all the "newness" of a company.

Off for the weekend - going canoeing and having dinner with the hubby. Yummy to both!

No comments: