Monday, June 21, 2010

Arriving in Cape Town

Well it's now been 2 days or 48 hours on the official clock that have passed but less than 40 when you knock down the time change.

So what are the first impressions of South Africa? I know I'm only seeing the front tourist end with airport staff, taxi drivers, and hotel greeters - but very much like any welcoming international city. Smiles and courteous and willing to help.

I have to say I'm a little nervous as a Yank. I am spoiled by the expectations that money and this nation brings. South Africa only just broke apartheid 15 years ago and it takes generations for this to level out a nation's economy and culture.
Plus when the printed guide books state very clearly "don't go out at night" and "don't go anywhere alone" and there is a " high rape crime rate" ...I pause a little at embracing a tourist exploratory nature.

But arriving at midnight to this gorgeous hotel apartment room is just wonderful. Looking forward to this stop for the next 5 days.




Let's just hope England and USA win their matches tomorrow...


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: