Wednesday, May 28, 2008

30 Day to Turning 30...8 to go

Today I attended a Griot speaker series with Kenneth Coleman as the guest speaker. I found the concept of a "griot" really interesting...the person in the family that is the storyteller in African communities.

Link to Kenneth Coleman: http://fisher.osu.edu/about/office-of-the-dean/dac/coleman

Kenneth then went on to talk about life, business, and leadership using stories which left me feeling much more engaged and a higher appreciation for how people learn. I know a few people that use this concept and will be making a bigger effort to do this myself in future.

A big takeaway for me was self-validation (which I've been focusing on for a while, see an earlier post). One of the most important things Kenneth shared was the power of networking. He mentioned things to make sure you reach out to connect and not just to get. Giving out without expecting to receive is important. This is a hard concept for me with my upbringing, but when he went into the story and examples I found that I am good at this....and hence validated myself that I am a good person and provide value to other people.

So a nice thing to think about as I turn 30...that I provide value to other people.




No comments: