Monday, May 26, 2008

30 Days to Turning 30...11 to go


So I'm turning 30 soon and have been trying to live life to the fullest for the past few months. I went to New Zealand in December on an action adventure tour and pushed myself to the physical limits....was fantastic!
I recently got passed this article (headline above) about a student that did the same activity I did on Christmas Day, river surfing. It was indeed the most extreme event I've ever done and my husband, DrN went under in exactly the same place as Emily did. He was under for 20 seconds and had to be rescued to come up from under the water. He managed to get through the rest of the river surfing trip but was as white as a sheet and was spewing up water for the rest of the trip.
Reading this makes me both really thankful that he survived as well as stupid that I had all this false bravado and sense of safety. "That's what the life preservers are for" and "they wouldn't take us on this if it was really that bad".
Well, sometimes things are dangerous, and you have to assess the risks you take, and not assume that because others do it, so should you.
Today I am simply thankful that I have the opportunity to turn 30...
My love and sympathy goes out to Emily's family and friends.

No comments: