Tuesday, May 13, 2008

30 Days of Turning 30...24 to go


The countdown continues...feeling much less cranky than yesterday as I caught up on some sleep. Today I want to embrace turning 30 by being at the stage of life where I can enjoy the simple pleasures of providing a cup of tea to my husband, Dr N.


On most mornings, I wake up before Dr N and depending on what I sense from his grunts and noises, I then make him a cup of tea or stay well away. I proceed to make a cup of tea in a very deliberate manner that has several steps that must be followed to make a cup of tea for an Englishman...I know you want to know so here it is:


  • Must be in a china mug...asking why gets you a scientific explanation of the materials

  • Must use English breakfast teabag...imported from England (mother-in-law!)

  • Must add water immediately after boiling to ensure the infusion of tea

  • Leave the tea to infuse for 60 seconds maximum...any longer and it's over brewed

  • Add sufficient milk to match the mood of Dr N. Grumpy mornings = extra milk

  • Add sugar...sweet and low is preferred by me to prevent the alternative use of 3 spoons of sugar (yes, 3!)

  • Stir and bring to Dr N whilst singing a song to signal it's on it's way, allowing him to "prepare" (i.e. wake up!)

This little pleasure has been repeated many times over the years and is something that brings us great pleasure. We get to wake up and spend a few minutes appreciating the little things we do for each other. So, I guess turning 30 is a chance to have perfected the morning cup of tea!

No comments: